We haven’t posted an update on our ‘64 TR6R project since last May because we’ve had an unexpected delay with our cad plating.
In late April, we received the powder coated parts back from Sun Western and they turned out beautifully as usual. We checked them off against the pictures that we took earlier to make certain everything was returned. We sent off the parts to be cad plated by FedEx Ground.
We received and checked in the three parts orders we made with our suppliers. The Devon rims we ordered are even prettier than they look in pictures.
Moving the parts to the Pacific Northwest for assembly ….
In early May, while we waited for the cad plating to be completed, we loaded the rest of the ‘64 into our trailer for the trip from Arizona to the Northwest where the bike would be assembled by Dave Wedlake. This included the powder coated parts, the engine still in its Rubbermaid tote, the tank, fenders and other sheet metal, the parts for chroming as well as all of the new parts we had ordered.
On our way north, we dropped the sheet metal off with Dave Wedlake in Portland so he could start the paintwork. We also left the badges, dust excluders, engine exhaust collars and parcel rack with Dave so they could be chrome plated. The remainder of the project was stored at our shop in Redmond until Dave was ready to start assembly later in the summer.
Cad plating goes missing ....
In June, when we hadn’t received our cad plating back, we called to see what its status was. We learned that the box we sent had not received at its destination. But when we checked with FedEx, they provided a proof of delivery with a signature so we knew it was in the building somewhere. It was just a matter of finding it.
Fortunately, we had pictures of all the parts for cad plating and had complete annotations in our parts manual, just in case. However, we knew that reordering so many new parts would be cost prohibitive. So, we had no choice but to wait to see if the box could be located.
Dave Wedlake started work on the sheet metal shortly after we dropped it off in Portland. Dave strips and pressure tests every gas tank he paints. If there are any leaks, he repairs those before the primer and paint go on.
For this project, Dave ordered the ’64 TR6R scarlet paint from Don Hutchison in Massachusetts. The scarlet paint goes over silver on the tank and is used for the fender stripes over silver paint.
Dave stripped and painted the fork ears and oil tank black but found that the side cover that came of the bike was not worthy of salvage. He asked me to find a replacement. This was a slight problem since this particular side cover was only used on 650 models during the three production years of 1963-65. It has two holes; one for the ignition and one for the light switch. It is currently being reproduced for about $100 but we wanted to see if we could locate an original part is possible. We were fortunate to find an extremely nice unit on EBay. We bought the cover and had it shipped directly to Dave in Portland.
A few parts needed to be dealt with before Dave could start assembling our ’64 TR6R ….
The front brake anchor plate needed polishing so I did that on the polishing wheel at our shop. In our new parts bin, we located a brand new original Lucas tail lens to fit the Type 564 tail light. This is an impossible part to find, especially new.
In early August, we delivered the remaining ’64 parts to Dave in Portland when we picked up the new ’67 Bonneville he had just completed. Dave gave us the newly chromed ’64 tank badges to paint.
The procedure for painting harmonica style badges is different than that used to finish later year badges (as described in our blog on the new ’67 Bonneville in our collection). Since the harmonica badges have no large area that can be spray painted, all of the work must be done with a small brush. As with all badges we paint, we use Tamiya paints; in this case Tamiya white primer (which we spray from the can into the cap and then apply by hand), semi gloss black and gold leaf, both from the bottle.
We start by brushing all of the openings on the badge with white primer. Primer is also applied to the Triumph logo and the background immediately around it. We let the primer dry for at least a day then carefully brush Tamiya semi-gloss black paint into the harmonica openings and the logo background. We apply several thin coats of black allowing sufficient drying time in between.
After the black paint is dry, we use 0000 steel wool to remove any unwanted paint from the raised areas on the badge. Then we paint the logo with Tamiya gold leaf paint and once again use our 0000 steel wool to clean off the raised parts that are to remain unpainted.
We were fortunate that these original badges were so straight and they rechromed so well. We could have purchased reproduction badges for less than the cost of rechroming these but they would not have been as nice as the originals. Here are pictures of the “before and after” badges. Now, the only remaining issue before assembly starts is the missing cad plating …
Cad plating is found …
Two weeks ago, we received a phone call that our cad plating was located and was being put into the plating queue immediately. We breathed a heavy sigh of relief … our project was back online. Within a week, we received a package with all of the parts we had sent for plating! The cad plating turned out beautifully as you can see in the following pictures.
End of Part 5 …. Next time: The ’64 TR6R is finished and returns to Redmond … first ride impressions …