In February 2007, we traveled to Albuquerque to pick up a 1967 Daytona that we purchased on EBay.
The owner was a young lady who had purchased it on EBay several years before. She had paid over $3000 and had it shipped all the way from New York to New Mexico. Once she received the bike, she was very disappointed to find the bike wouldn’t start as easily as she had hoped and that it wasn’t in the condition she expected. She stored it away in her garage until she finally got around to listing it on EBay.
The pictures the owner posted on EBay weren’t very good and the owner had little understanding of this particular bike or Triumphs in general, so our questions before bidding weren’t answered very well. Our final purchase price was low at $2750 for what is a fairly rare first year Daytona. After we bought and picked it up, we found the bike had many more incorrect 1967 T100R parts than we had anticipated. Nevertheless, we believed it worth the additional effort and expense it would require so we undertook a full restoration.
This bike turned out to be one of our more challenging restorations. Here is how the bike originally came to us.
1. 1970 or later front end
2. 1970 or later front brake
3. 1971 or later headlight
4. 1969 or later gauges
5. incorrect fork ears
6. stainless fenders
7. no chain guard
8. “jury rigged” brake switch
9. 1969 and later rear shocks
10. incorrect seat
11. incorrect hardware throughout
12. petcocks and fuel lines (would be replaced anyway)
13. handlebar switches
The key parts that were correct included …
2. fuel tank
3. tail lamp assembly
5. tank badges
6. side cover
7. oil tank
Before we could even consider restoring this machine we knew first had to locate the correct parts for the front end. If we couldn’t find them, we would need to abandon the project.
We kept an eye open on our typical sources and ultimately found the right front end for this model on EBay from a seller who was within 50 miles of our Washington home. The front end we bought had the incorrect top lug assembly however but we were able to locate one a short time later.
The next most important part to find was the correct headlamp assembly. We once again were able to find one in decent shape that we thought would work well after it was rechromed. Here are pictures of the before and after headlight assembly …
We now kept an eye out for the correct gauges. We easily found a workable set and sent them off to be restored. Here are the pictures of the incorrect and correct gauges …
We had Barry Arthur disassemble the bike and go through the engine which Barry found was fortunately in great condition and needed little work. We cleaned and tumbled any hardware we were going to use and put it in the plating pile.
We made up our list of new parts to buy which included …
1. front fender
2. rear fender
3. chain guard
4. rear shocks (Girling type)
5. front/ rear spokes
6. front/rear tires
7. correct seat
8. wiring harness
11. “Tiger 100” script for side cover
12. Headlight rim
13. All rubber
14. Most hardware
We had our powder coating work done by Sunwestern in Mesa, AZ before they went out of business.
We sent the tank and new fenders to Dennis Lesea in Sacramento for painting. Dennis acquired the correct Pacific Blue and white paints from Hutchison and did the painting in the correct scheme including hand painted gold pin striping. We picked the painted parts up on one of our trips through California to eliminate the possibility of damage in transit.
Plating parts were sent out including …
1. Headlight bucket (chrome)
2. Front/rear Dunlop rims (chrome)
3. Tank Badges (chrome)
4. Dust excluders (chrome)
5. Hardware (cadmium)
I performed my normal painting routine on the newly chromed badges. Here is the before and after …
We delivered all of the parts to Dave Wedlake in Portland in the summer of 2009. Dave did the remaining black painting and assembly. The 1967 T100R was finally completed early this summer.
Here are some pictures of the finished product. There are many more pictures of this machine in the photo album.